Safe And Unsafe Physical Activities
Below are the recommendations by the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) with regard to physical activity for pregnant moms:
1. Some modification to exercise routines
• Yoga, pilates, running or jogging and strength training are may be safe for the pregnant woman who participated in these activities regularly before pregnancy.
2. A thorough clinical evaluation before the exercise
3. Aerobic and strength-conditioning exercises before, during, and after pregnancy
4. Careful evaluation by OB-Gynes for women with medical or obstetric complications before physical activity participation
5. With the help of regular physical activity, improved physical fitness, maintained weight management, reduced risk of gestational diabetes in obese women, and enhanced psychological well-being are met.
6. Proper intensity and frequency of exercise
Exercise should be avoided:
• Contact sports such as ice-hockey, boxing, soccer and basketball
• Activities with a high risk of falling such as water skiing, surfing, downhill snow skiing & etc
• Scuba diving
• Sky diving
• Hot yoga or hot pilates
Below are the warning signs to discontinue exercise while pregnant.
• Vaginal bleeding
• Regular painful contractions
• Amniotic fluid leakage
• Dyspnea before exertion
• Chest pain
• Muscle weakness affecting balance
• Calf pain or swelling
The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. (2015, December). Physical activity during pregnancy. Retrieved 19 September 2018 from https://www.acog.org/Clinical-Guidance-and-Publications/Committee-Opinions/Committee-on-Obstetric-Practice/Physical-Activity-and-Exercise-During-Pregnancy-and-the-Postpartum-Period.