Please Wait...

Health And Lifestyle


When To See A Fertility Specialist?

Children are bundles of joy, and some couples seem to conceive with ease while others struggle. But that is what fertility specialists are for, to help couples who find it difficult to have children. As a couple, when should you seek the help of a fertility specialist? Is there a time frame for trying before exploring the option of seeing a specialist?  Even the most prepared couples might have a hard time knowing when to schedule a consultation.

When should you visit a fertility specialist?
You need to schedule a visit with a specialist if any of the following situations pertain to you and your partner.
• You have had regular unprotected sex for 6 – 12 months without conception
After six months of regular unprotected sex, the average woman under 35 years should conceive. However, if you and your partner have been trying for more than a year, it’s time to visit a specialist.

• You experience irregular periods, very heavy periods, or no period at all
Pregnancy can only occur if a woman ovulates. Your period is a sign that you ovulate every month. If your periods are irregular, you could be suffering from hormonal imbalance, and seeing a gynecologist or endocrinologist would help. Heavy periods entail bleeding for over seven days and using more than one sanitary napkin within an hour. This condition requires the expertise of a gynecologist. If your periods are non-existent, you should see a specialist even before trying for a child as you might not be ovulating.

• Your partner finds it difficult to maintain or have an erection
This is reason enough to schedule that first appointment with your fertility specialist even before you start trying. You and your partner need to know what options are available for you.

• History of Sexually Transmitted Infections (STI)
Sexually transmitted infections are one of the leading causes of infertility. Regular infections could reduce your partner’s sperm count and sperm mobility while it could cause scarring to your reproductive organs. Medical consultation is essential if either of you or your partner have a long history of STIs.

• You are 35 and above
35 years and above: If you are 35 years and have had six months of regular unprotected sex without conception, it’s time to see a specialist. Things might be a little bit more difficult for you because of your age.

• 40 years and above
As you grow older, the risk of miscarriage during pregnancy increases. You should see a specialist immediately after you have decided to conceive. Let them guide you and help you avoid going through the harrowing experience of a miscarriage or other health complications.

If you’ve had any serious health issues like cancer or have a genetic disorder that causes miscarriages, you should also see a specialist early regardless of age.

  • 38

Related Articles