7 Tips On Feeding Newborns
Here are the tips on feeding your newborn:
1. As everyone says, breast milk is the best. But in rare cases when breastfeeding is not possible, you may use infant formula.
2. Most newborns need about one feeding every two to three hours, a total of eight to 12 feedings a day. Moving hands to the mouth, sucking on fists and fingers, and lip smacking are early signs of a hungry newborn. Fussing and crying are later cues.
3. Consult your doctor on vitamin D supplements which can be sufficiently provided by breastfeeding.
4. There may be variations in your newborn’s eating patterns.
5. You have to monitor your baby’s weight gain, satisfaction between feedings, and bowel movements.
6. Feeding your newborn is a perfect time to bond with him.
7. Feel free to seek help from a lactation consultant or your baby’s doctor if you are having a hard time with breastfeeding.
Feeding your newborn: Tips for new parents. Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research (MFMER) Website. https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/infant-and-toddler-health/in-depth/healthy-baby/art-20047741. Last accessed February 9, 2020.