At this week, you are finally entering the third trimester of pregnancy. You are just 12 weeks away from delivering the baby. Start preparing the nursery and other essentials for your baby at this stage.
The size of the baby
The baby is similar to the eggplant at this stage.
Weight/height of the baby
The baby weighs around 1 kg or 2 and a quarter pounds. The baby measures around 36cms or 14.6 inches when measured from head to toe.
About your baby
The baby at the 28th week gets fully developed. The nerves, tissues, and organs are still in their growing stage but the baby has developed the essential systems which he or she might require to survive outside the mother’s uterus. These are the last few weeks of pregnancy where the baby starts recognizing different voices and sounds. The eyes of the baby are still in the developing stage. The development of the brain is still continuing. The heart sounds are louder and clearer at this stage so take your partner with you for the ultrasound scan and get him involved.
At the 28th week, the baby starts attaining the position for its delivery. Although the baby might change its position and twist within the uterus. The baby will now spend most of the time with the head facing downwards while the legs facing in upwards direction.in certain conditions, the babies can also breech where the head of the baby faces upwards toward your chest while legs facing downwards towards the pelvis. However, in 75% of the cases, the breech fixes back normally till the 38th week.
About your body
You will feel extreme pressure over the diaphragm as the baby is gaining weight and the pain is intensified with each stretching effect through the legs of the babies. Heartburn is commonly felt during this stage. The symptoms which you normally felt during the first trimester are returning back because the pressure over the stomach intensifies leading to nausea and fatigue. Back pain is also severe during this stage because the baby is rapidly growing.
At the 28th week, you’ll experience “pregnancy brain” where you find difficulty during sleeping due to oscillating hormonal levels and extreme pressure within the body. You find difficulties in concentration and start forgetting things usually. At this stage, your breasts start leaking a bit i.e. they release early breast milk or colostrum which contains IgA, fats, proteins, and minerals.
Do & Don’ts
• Eat frequent, smaller meals to avoid any pain or stretching effect over the stomach and ribs.
• Avoid spending bucks on maternity clothes as you are just about to deliver a baby in a few weeks.
• Take enough rest and stay comfortable at all times to avoid back pain and fatigue.
• Keep yourself hydrated at all times as the tight belly skin might feel itchy at this week.
• Prepare the nursery for your baby’s arrival, set up all the necessary supplies and adjust it within your home.
• As your pregnancy is about to end and if you are delivering the first baby, you’ll definitely feel anxious and nervous so schedule an appointment and talk to your doctor.
• Buy some books which are regarding postpartum recovery
• Discuss childcare prior to the arrival of the baby
• Schedule a maternity leave
• Plan cooking in bulk before you enter for labor
The second trimester is about to end with the beginning of the final trimester. Try taking enough rest, lower your activities and stay comfortable. Eat healthily and stay active.