When you reach 31st week of pregnancy, you have entered the last phase of your pregnancy. You are a few weeks away from delivering the baby. You might feel clumsy, irritated along with some discomfort during this stage. Start counting your days as you are just few weeks away from seeing your bundle of joy.
The size of the baby
The size of the baby at this stage resembles a head of zucchini or a coconut.
Weight/height of the baby
The height of the baby during this stage is around 41cm or 16 inches roughly while the weight of the baby is around 3.3 pounds or 1.5 kgs.
About your baby
The baby is undergoing several changes during this phase with increased weight and rapid brain development. The fat deposition increases underneath the skin in order to make the baby chubby. The baby is very active with increased coordinated movements during this week and further on. The baby is now placed in a vertical position with head down and feet pointing upwards.
At week 31, the skin of the baby is covered with fine hairs known as lanugo which will go away with time till the delivery. The baby can now suck the thumbs. The development of the baby’s brain is rapid in order to face the environmental changes in the outer world. The five senses of the baby are rapidly maturing.
About your body
The body is also undergoing several changes in order to accommodate the increased size of the baby with fluctuating hormonal levels. The belly keeps expanding during this stage with the rapid development of stretch marks over the body. The symptoms which you might experience during the 31st week include fluid leakage from the breasts, back pain due to extra weight applied by the baby, frequent urination, constipation, heartburn, breathlessness, Braxton hicks’ contractions, and others. Get excited to see your baby within just few weeks.
Do & Don’ts
• Buy comfortable clothes for your expanding belly.
• Pack your bag for the hospital and make a list of essentials which you might need for your big day.
• You might feel clumsy during the last few weeks but it is essential to perform light exercises.
• Consume a balanced diet including fresh fruits and vegetables in order to supply the baby with essential nutrients.
• Complete your nursery preps as you might deliver the baby anytime soon.
• Ask for maternity leave before leaving the job.